It's love. But what does love look like, to any of us, at any age? Christian author Philip Yancey in "Vanishing Grace" writes of being asked the question, "When do you feel loved?"
Here's how he answered.
I feel loved when...
- Someone listens attentively.
- Someone makes me feel important.
- Someone encourages and even challenges me.
- Someone cares for me when I'm hurting.
- When someone gives me an unexpected gift.
In a related quote, also in Yancey's book, Pastor Mark Rutland cited a survey which asked Americans which words they most liked to hear. The survey came out this way:
In first place: I love you.
In second place: I forgive you.
In third place: Supper's ready.
Don't these sound like Easter words? As you gather around the table, pass the ham or sweet potatoes, enjoy your aging parent, and the love that binds you together.