Karin Miller, Geriatric Care Manager, suggests you and your parent look at the possibility through the eyes of SAFETY. Consider:
Safety in the house
- Is the house accessible? Stairs? Bathroom, Laundry on the main floor, Throw rugs, grab bars...
- Is home maintenance too much to deal with?
- Is your parent in danger of being taken advantage of?
- Driving safely?
- Is there memory loss? What about the ability to reason and make decisions?
- Does he or she know what to do in emergencies?
- Still cook a meal? Take a shower safely?
- Socialization and isolation--Will he or she enjoy being with others in a group setting?
- List what is safe and unsafe
- Gather information
- Hire help--this gives you another set of eyes to see what's going on and to make sure basic needs are met.
- Discuss the ongoing situation with family
- Consider objections and realistic alternatives
- Make a plan now and expect it to change.